re: Hello?

by "Lauren Hanka" <bluejay(at)starband.net>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:02:37 -0800
 To:  <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm here John, and have been watching with hesitated interest. Please, be
don't be disgusted, but I find accessibility issues annoying. Tell me why
one must study, on top of all the other studies that are required to keep up
with this ever-changing, and highly competitive field, to make a site
accessible for the visually impaired, when if this is desired, all that's
really needed, as far as I understand, is make a "text only" duplicate of an
existing site? Am I wrong? Short-sighted? After all, the Web, *is* a
visually based medium, as is television. Of course, I am in agreement that
easily accessible *information* be available for the visually impaired on
the net, just annoyed that a separate and specialized technique must be
learned and employed to make a basically visual site easier to see for the
visually impaired --it just doesn't make sense in the efficiency department.

On the other hand --since North American governments are establishing
compliancy requirements, and since there are so few designers with knowledge
in this area, I'm game to learn...

Just my quick, unguarded, and conflicting personal thoughts...
Lauren