Re: International perspective

by "Jenny Toller" <jenny.toller(at)ntlworld.com>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:14:30 -0000
 To:  <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> What is the status over there?  I know the UK governemnt is on a big
"Best
> and Brightest" push, and from what I've read they actually appear to
be
> pretty forward thinking.

LOL!!!
The government is all about 'image' nothing else! They really don't have
a clue about the possiblilities of technology.

 > How does accessibility play over there?  Are there
> mandates or guidleline for governmental sites?
We used to have a site that conformed to everything going - it was
totally brilliant. What did Tony Blair do? He closed it down...
http://www.open.gov.uk
Amazingly, the new site that replaced this a few months ago went through
a phase of being totally inaccessible. Loads of people (myself included)
created a huge fuss and the current offering is much improved.
Guidelines etc. are coming, I believe.

> (I'll drag this list alive if it kills me...)
You have succeeded - no need for drastic measures.

Jenny