RE: DHTML and accessibility

by "Peekstok, Anna" <Anna.Peekstok(at)METROKC.GOV>

 Date:  Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:07:35 -0700
 To:  "'Dominique Clawson'" <Dominique.Clawson(at)colorado.edu>,
"'aware-techniques(at)hwg.org'" <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> From: Dominique Clawson [mailto:Dominique.Clawson(at)colorado.edu]
>
> What I'm wondering is if I position my elements with CSS and
> I use a 12pt
> font-size, what happens when the user chooses a 64pt?  I
> guess the whole
> thing would be unreadable wouldn't it?

Depends what you mean by "unreadable". If I am partially sighted and need
text to be 64pt before I can read it, then what's unreadable for me is your
lovely but useless 12pt text.

Personally, I've decided to stay away from trying to size type on my web
pages, except for setting the *relative* sizes of H1, H2, etc. via CSS and
percentages. And I design my pages so they can accommodate as many text size
variations as possible without breaking.

Most of the time, the person going to the page is interested in its content.
The design is just window dressing, soon to be forgotten -- UNLESS it gets
in the way of accessing the content.

Cheers,
Anna Peekstok