Re: Accessible tables

by Gerhard Schoening <g.sch(at)onlinehome.de>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:53:25 +0100
 To:  "Ellen Hoffenberg-Serfaty" <serf(at)inter.net.il>
 Cc:  aware-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Ellen,

On Wednesday, February 27, 2002 at 07:55 you wrote:

> Gerhard said:

>> > As a screen reader user, I personally do not want layout tables
>> identified
>> > as such. It is just extra verbiage.
>>
>> > The table specific commands available through my screen reader are
>> > intentionally not functional in tables with only one row. This
>> works very
>> > well.
>>
>> > I do not use summary attributes in the tables I create unless they are:
>>
>> > 1. data tables
>> > 2. complex enough that a summary truly adds value, i.e. makes the table
>> > easier to understand.
>>
>> > I may be blind, but I do not think it is that difficult to figure out.
>>
>> > However, I recognize that mileage may vary for others.

Sorry, Ellen - but that was Brian, NOT me ;-)

MY question [to Brian] was:

**Does that mean I should use an EMPTY summary attribute for non-data
tables, just like the empty alt attribute for non-relevant images
(like a spacer.gif)?**

> Ellen:

> [Your statement for additional info about tables, for new or
> non-native users of assistive technology]

Of course, additional information will ALWAYS be of help for anybody
new to some technique, as well as annoying for somebody already used
to it... so we have to decide on the right balance of the two edges.

Which doesn't make the matter easier, I guess :-)

Gerhard

http://www.cp-web.com
gerhard(at)cp-web.com

http://www.schoening-online.com