Re: Local government website accessibility

by Ken Guttman <kguttman(at)attglobal.net>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:19:47 -0500
 To:  S Watson <swatson(at)internavigate.com>
 Cc:  aware-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi folks,

Thanks for some great responses so far, both to me personally and to
this list...they have given me some good ideas to address with my group.
I think the following reply makes a great point...It's important to
remember that just because an all-text site can be deciphered by a
screen-reader, it does not mean that it is an appropriate solution for
all disabled persons. Better to create and maintain one accessible site
that is beneficial and stimulating to all groups, including those with
and without disabilities!

Ironically, I just came across an article this evening, published in a
recent supplement to Government Technology, entitled "Across the
Disability Divide". It talks about state governments moving towards
greater accessibility as a result of Section 508. It probably doesn't
have much new to add to what all of us have read before, but it's great
to see additional publicity of the accessibility issue for those still
in the dark. To view the article, surf to
http://www.govtech.net/magazine/sup_story.phtml?magid=1005000000000007&id=3030000000007728&issue=3:2002
. If the long URL doesn't work for you, go to
http://egovernment.govtech.net, and search for "Across the Disability
Divide".

Thanks,
Ken