Re: Accessible tables

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:28:38 -0800
 To:  <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Pamela Shorey" <palema(at)galaxyinternet.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Just a point of clarification that Pam is alluding to (is she?) in this
discussion.

The 508 standards are mandatory for US federal government sites as a way to
make the web more accessible to the masses, especially for those with
disabilities.  (Section 508 is actually much broader than just web
accessibility for those who have not read the standard.)  For all other
sites they are currently seen as 100 lb. gorilla "suggestions."  I'm sure
in time that gorilla will grow to 800 lbs., but we'll monkey around with
that when we come to it.  :)

Like most any other federal government initiative, common sense,
practicality and real-world implementation do not always enter the picture
when developing such standards.  This behooves the web expert to use their
common sense, practicality and real-world experience in developing sites
which meet the standard.  Sacrificing a quality web experience for the
majority of users just to meet the 508 standards for a relative few in need
of it is not the intention, even though the standards are written that
way.  There are several ways a site may accommodate both sets of users for
the benefit of each, without being detrimental to the other.  It is just up
to the developer and site owner to weigh the implementation and maintenance
costs of which method(s) to pursue.

We can all debate and argue the finer points of the standard and still all
be fairly accurate in our opinions.   That is because US federal standards
eventually promote litigation when some individual finally says, "I'm mad
as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."  Somewhere down the road a
lawsuit will either clear the waters of 508 accessibility, or muddy them up
even more.  Until then, we must be the be all and end all for all users all
the time with the 508 standards.

Kukla

At 06:02 AM 2/27/02 -0500, Pamela Shorey wrote:
>Now Pam asks:

-- snip --