RE: Local government website accessibility

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 17:01:58 -0800
 To:  <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Michael Sauers" <msauers(at)bcr.org>, "Ken Guttman" <kguttman(at)attglobal.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Now we appear to be approaching an issue which has yet to have a lengthy
debate ...

Does a web site suffer in visual design, appearance and/or content if it
must adhere to an established accessibility standard?  Must a web site
suffer in visual design, appearance and/or content if it must adhere to an
established accessibility standard?  I have yet to come up with suitable
answers to my own questions.  For me, the jury is still out and debate is
seriously needed among web designers and developers.

In my limited experience observing the before/after effects, many of these
redesigned sites seem to have lost a quality factor.  Something is missing.

Ok, I'll be blunt.   Not knowing whether the redesign was done with
considerable thought and expertise needs to be addressed.  This is a
sticking point.  Nevertheless, I find the after effects are sites which are
dumbed down and deskilled, and most seem to lose their uniqueness,
perceived quality and a general blah feeling.  In short, a site is reduced
from an intriguing, thoughtful blend of design, content and appeal to a
plain brown wrapper.  While this may not be the intent of the standard, the
implementation of that standard appears to have a much greater effect than
possibly first thought.  In the process of accommodating everyone, does the
standard actually drive away majority users who do not need the standard?

Am I being harsh? Yes, of course.  Am I being fair? You tell me.   Don't
get me wrong by this post. I am all in favor of accessibility standards and
building sites to such standards.   Are web designers taking the "easy" way
out with accessibility design?  In some cases it looks that way.  And in
some ways, who can blame them.  After considerable work going into a design
and implementation (without even addressing accessibility), it appears many
developers rebuild a site according to the standard, and little else.  The
site meets the standard alright, but it is a far cry from what it once
was.  It's unprofessional on its face.  Yet this appears to be occurring.

While two sites may at first appear to equate with twice the work, this
need not be the case.  A well designed site, preferably database driven,
may accomplish the desired result.  The standards allow for this.

Hmmmmm.

Thoughts?

Kukla