Re: DHTML and accessibility

by Liz Bartlett <khyri(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:42:03 -0700
 To:  aware-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:25 AM 4/23/2003 -0600, Dominique Clawson wrote:
>This also brings me to the following question: are layers readable by a
>screen reader.  I use Dreamweaver and use a lot of layers but I don't
>convert them to tables.
>W3C discourages the use of tables and favors instead the positioning of
>elements with CSS.

Many assistive technologies that read a web page out loud
are actually looking at the source code, rather than what's
actually displayed (it often depends whether they're a browser
in their own right,or software working with an existing browser).

So - layers will be ignored, as what is "on top" of something
else doesn't matter in a non-visual sense! The content will be
read in the order it appears in the source code. So if your
source contains several "blocks" of content, positioned absolutely
with layering, make sure that the order they appear in the source
code is the order in which they should be accessed.

--Liz