RE: DHTML and accessibility

by Dominique Clawson <Dominique.Clawson(at)colorado.edu>

 Date:  Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:35:41 -0600
 To:  "'webmaster(at)ltp-design.com'" <webmaster(at)ltp-design.com>
 Cc:  "'aware-techniques(at)hwg.org'" <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hey Stephen:

I was poking around in W3C and found this:

"CSS allows precise control over spacing, alignment and positioning. Authors
can thereby avoid "tag misuse" - the practice of misusing a structural
element for its expected stylistic effects. For example, while the
BLOCKQUOTE and TABLE elements in HTML are meant to mark up quotations and
tabular data, they are frequently used to create visual effects instead such
as indentation and alignment. When specialized browsing software such as a
speech synthesizer encounters elements that are misused in this way, the
results can be unintelligible to the user. "

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS-access under "How Style Sheets Benefit
Accessibility"

What I'm wondering is if I position my elements with CSS and I use a 12pt
font-size, what happens when the user chooses a 64pt?  I guess the whole
thing would be unreadable wouldn't it?

Dominique
   (who today feels like banging her head against the wall)