RE: Accessible tables

by "brian walker" <bwalker5(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:51:02 -0500
 To:  "John Foliot - Another 4:00 AM Web Thing" <foliot(at)fouram.com>
 Cc:  <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello,

You are correct. I used the term compliant, when I meant in accordance with
accessibility guidelines.

It is a straightforward matter to identify if a particular HTML coding
standard is followed strictly or loosely. I have often instructed others
that 80 to 90% of the battle for accessibility is in just writing good code
compliant with W3C standards.

To the extent that accessibility guidelines are adopted as standards and
even laws, it is almost as straightforward to apply such techniques. I do
believe judgement calls come in to play in the sense that a part of
accessibility is general useability.

To the extent that W3C guidelines and standards are not fully implemented
within mainstream browsers, or are rendered differently within each of them,
I do think universal accessibility becomes less straightforward and more of
an ideal.

I get paid to produce results, pages that work, i.e. pages that display in
accordance with style standards we have established. How I do that is up to
me. As long as it looks good and is accessible and easy to use. I write HTML
4.0 loose code.

Ideally, I would incorporate elements and attributes within all my coding
that are suggested and even required by W3C standards and guidelines. But
some of them don't work in the browser that my end users have to use. Others
are basically redundant because my screen reader already provides me that
information or functionality. And I don't have the time for redundant
coding.

I am not arguing against universal accessibility. I think the attitudes
expressed on this list are wonderfully refreshing. I *think* I am trying to
say that even when time constraints, lack of resources, and other business
limitations do not allow for full application of all standards and
guidelines, a realistic approach can still result in pages that are quite
accessible.

Brian