RE: DHTML, Front Page Transitions - Accessible Standards

by "John Brandt" <jbrandt04330(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:26:37 -0500
 To:  "John Foliot - Another 4:00 AM Web Thing" <foliot(at)fouram.com>
 Cc:  "Aware-Techniques" <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
JF

Thank you for your good comments and wise interpretation on the standards. I
too generally avoid all of the FP Whoop Dee Doo as I perceive it to be
rather amateurish. My purpose for writing was to get some insight from
others in the group since I too figured that the ultimate accessibility
question was rather subjective.

I have created an example of the transition effects and some DHTML on this
page:

http://www.mainecite.org/fptut/test.htm

The reason for all of this - I am putting together a guidebook on how to
make a web site accessible using Front Page. The beta version is at
www.mainecite.org/fptut I realized in my editing that I was not really sure
if these FP effects met the standards, but my general appraisal and
recommendation was to stay away from them.

In Maine, they have allowed pretty much open access to many state workers to
post things on the state web sites - much of which is questionably
accessible. Now that are trying to train folks in good web design - after
the fact. So, the guide book was designed with that clientele in mind.

Regarding the DTD issue, I was using the standard 4.0 Transitional. I think
it is just another example of FP creating some funky code that doesn't stick
to standards. Again, I avoid this stuff in my own designs, but am thinking
about others who may use these.

Thanks again.

jeb