Use of ACRONYM

by "John Brandt" <jbrandt04330(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:27:00 -0500
 To:  <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I maintain a website for an organization that uses its acronym for its
name - Maine CITE. I am wondering if I need to add the <ACRONYM> </ACRONYM>
tags to all references in our website....a daunting task I might add.

I don't see this addressed in Section 508 standards, and Bobby has not
caught it as a problem - likely because CITE is also a word.

Is our site accessible without this tag?

Suggestions, comments please. Also, please provide the correct coding
method...Should it be "...Maine <ACRONYM>CITE</ACRONYM>....?"

jeb

John E. Brandt
Augusta, ME 04330
for www.mainecite.org
jbrandt04330(at)earthlink.net

PS: I initially used the phrase MaineCITE on the website (which is how it
appears in most print media) and learned the hard way that text reading AT
devices were reading this "Main-e-site."  So I fixed all of those.