DHTML, Front Page Transitions - Accessible Standards

by "John Brandt" <jbrandt04330(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:30:26 -0500
 To:  <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I am wondering if the features built into Microsoft's Front Page called
"Page Transitions" meet the accessibility standards. For those of you
unfamiliar with Front Page (FP), these are meta tag codes that insert the
following information:

content="revealTrans(Duration=1.0,Transition=0)">
content="revealTrans(Duration=1.0,Transition=8)">

The cause a special effect when the web page loads and when one moves on to
another page. There are a variety of these that can be programmed into a FP
web page, however my understanding is that they can only be viewed with the
Internet Explorer browser.

I tested a page using these with Bobby and the W3C Validators and both
passed the page. I also included some DHTML code (see below) and they still
passed.

However, the DHTML code failed in the HTML 4.0 validator since it used some
funky code that is not valid:

<script language="JavaScript" fptype="dynamicanimation">

and...

<script language="JavaScript1.2" fptype="dynamicanimation"
src="../animate.js">
</script>

CSE HTML Validator did not like the "fptype" code and did not recognize
"JavaScript1.2" as a valid language.

So the question is...if these types of FP features are used will it make the
page inaccessible to AT devices?

Thanks for any comments

John E. Brandt
Augusta, ME 04330