Re: Use of ACRONYM

by Carole Anne Gay <carole(at)designs.com>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:52:17 -0800
 To:  aware-techniques(at)hwg.org,
"John Brandt" <jbrandt04330(at)earthlink.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi John,

Since CITE is an acronym, yes,  you should use it.  I'm not sure you need to include it in every reference within the
document, though.  Once it has been defined, your visitor should be able to recognize it as such on subsequent
iterations.  I would add it on each page of your site, however, on the first occurance of the acronym.  Be sure to include
the attribute "title" to provide the complete name that is represented by that acronym.  <acronym title="the full name
represented by CITE">CITE</acronym>.

Best,

Carole

3/15/02 12:27:00 PM, "John Brandt" <jbrandt04330(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

>I maintain a website for an organization that uses its acronym for its
>name - Maine CITE. I am wondering if I need to add the <ACRONYM> </ACRONYM>
>tags to all references in our website....a daunting task I might add.
>
>I don't see this addressed in Section 508 standards, and Bobby has not
>caught it as a problem - likely because CITE is also a word.
>
>Is our site accessible without this tag?
>
>Suggestions, comments please. Also, please provide the correct coding
>method...Should it be "...Maine <ACRONYM>CITE</ACRONYM>....?"
>
>jeb
>
>John E. Brandt
>Augusta, ME 04330
>for www.mainecite.org
>jbrandt04330(at)earthlink.net
>

>PS: I initially used the phrase MaineCITE on the website (which is how it
>appears in most print media) and learned the hard way that text reading AT
>devices were reading this "Main-e-site."  So I fixed all of those.

Carole Gay

HTML Writers Guild Online Education Instructor, HTML and Design Concepts
http://hwg.org/
Director, HTML Writers Guild Gutenberg Project
http://gutenberg.hwg.org/