RE: don't take my graphics! (WAS Re: hiding Html from Viewers)

by "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:45:36 -0700
 To:  "S. Beach" <sabrina_beach(at)yahoo.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
----- snip -----

> have all of my original poetic, story and imagework stored away on
> disc or
> in mailed envelopes to ensure that aspect.

It might not stand up in court, if you ever need to.  Copyrighting is
an inexpensive ($20-30 USD) and GUARANTEED way to save your ideas
from being stolen and used for someone else's profit.

--skb

----- snip -----

Wow!  This has been a busy list the last few days.

Copyright registration is definitely the only "real" way to go, but if
someone did take and use your work, you would still need to know of the
theft before you could follow through.  Unauthorized and "stolen" works have
been bought and sold for years, and is not limited to computer based works.
Just watch "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS sometime.  This practice goes way
back!

As far as mailing a copy of the original "works" to yourself, I have been
told that the only true way is Certified or Registered Mail.  The "Poor
Man's Copyright" has worked for many people.

Also, be careful where your work is published.  Just a few months ago, there
was a big uproar regarding GeoCity's policy, or rather "Terms of Usage",
with GeoCity claiming ownership of everything published on their "Free"
server.

Bottom line is still... If you don't want your work to be copied, don't
publish it.

paul