RE: SSI questions

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:32:14 -0400
 To:  "'Vincent,
Denise'" <deevin(at)mun.ca>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Denise--

<snip>
Is it possible to include a simple text file, with just the relevant
stuff
(font tags, line breaks, etc) without having to embed another HTML
document
into an existing one?
</snip>

Not only possible, but desirable.

You have gotten a lot of help regarding the SSI stuff, but I would
like to add that HTML documents can only properly have ONE opening and
closing  HTML, HEAD, and BODY tags sets. When you include a file using
SSI, you only include that portion of the file you need. In my case, I
use it to add a common footer on pages, or a common navigation
sidebar. I generally give the file an ".html" extension, but they are
not in and of themselves complete html files.

How did this blow up on me? Netscape, of course. So I went to an
online validator and pointed it at my page. Well, the pages they saw
were already parsed with the merged files, so I got errors of too many
"HEADs" or "HTMLs" in the document.

Good Luck!
kali
kaliajer(at)mail.com