RE: still looks left on my computer.

by "Sophia Kapterian (E-mail)" <digitek(at)cytanet.com.cy>

 Date:  Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:24:22 +0200
 To:  "'Diane Bourke'" <DIANEBOURKE(at)peoplepc.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Diane,

I had a quick look on the western.html page. There are a couple of things
you should correct
and everything will work after that:

1) Validation errors in markup:
- remove </p> from line 180
- remove </div> from line 139

2) The reason the centering is not taking place in Firefox is because of
specificity.
You have defined text-align center for body, div, p, table on the first line
in your stylesheet but then overriding
it with p.small2 {text-align: left;}.  Actually the rule should refer to
p.small without the digit.

3) You should also add margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; to your div
because you have given it an 80% width.
The same goes for p.small which has a 90% width.

4) I would suggest getting rid of all the <br> and controlling the space
between each section through css.

4) There are also some inconsistencies in the code and it would help if you
put some ground rules from the start,
like all elements in lowercase, opening and closing tags, etc. I assure you
it will come in handy when you will
at some point move on to XHTML.

For some great css tutorials, I would suggest signing up for westciv.com's
free css courses.

HTH
Sophia