RE: Servers

by "Elias Thienpont" <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Thu, 16 Dec 1999 08:10:27 -0700
 To:  "0-Basic HTML Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Much more important than NT or UNIX hosting is the company you keep. It is
better to have a good host who will cooperate with you and help you to
support your website. Our ISP provides hosting services for us, they have
both NT and UNIX servers, and will put us on which ever one we want and or
need. He has been very helpful in setting up scripts, and is (almost) always
at the end of the phone line.

As for the amount of space he is offering. Our provider offers 20MB, but
that number is kinda flexible, and since he only checks it once or twice a
year we could stick 50MB in there and he would never notice. Or more to the
point, he has 100s of GB on his servers, and at last count about 60
customers so...... It is easy for him to offer big amounts of server space
knowing, that most customers will never come close to that amount, and it
looks like a bargain. But the price he charges is about the same, because
that is the best he can get and still cover all of his costs.

(Obviously we are hosting with our local telephone cooperative serving a
small area of rural North Dakota, he has as much server space as we have
prairie lands, and he knows all of his customers by name, because that are
not all that many people in this part of the state anyway.)

Elias