Re: ZIP File Problem

by "Consult-Eco" <stevemc(at)consult-eco.ndirect.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 23 May 2000 15:05:12 +0100
 To:  "Dennis Lapcewich" <Dennis.Lapcewich(at)unisa.edu.au>
 Cc:  "Paul Kucharski - Guitar Website" <pgkuchar(at)execpc.com>, "HTML W.G. \(Basics\)" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>, "HTML W.G. \(Techniques\)" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>, "HTML W.G. \(Software\)" <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dear Dennis,

Thanks for trying to help. It has me really stumped now. The Zip files
have been re-uploaded (making sure they were done in binary format - but
then they always were). If I download the zip file with IE4 or IE5 they
download OK and can be opened and extracted just like ordinary zip files
by WinZip.

However, they still don't download with Netscape-4. Even using the
'tricks' of Shift and left-click on the file, or right click the link
and choose 'Save Link As' doesn't seem to work properly. Oh yes, the
files download in these instances BUT when one tries to extract the file
from the Zip using WinZip it comes up with errors, as shown below:

------
Dll: I:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\wz32.dll - 26/09/97 06:30
Extracting to "C:\TEMP\TEMP\"
Use Path: no   Overlay Files: no
warning [C:/TEMP/ragcbjoe.zip]:  extra 6 bytes at beginning or within
Zip file (attempting to process anyway)
Error in file #1:  bad Zip file offset (Error local header signature not
found):  disk #1  offset: 0
(attempting to re-compensate)
Extracting ragcbjoe.tef
Error: unexpected end of file encountered
Error:  invalid compressed data to inflate
----

But, these are the same files that I just downloaded and extracted
succesfully using IE and WinZip !! How can they be different?

Anybody else any ideas?

Cheers.

Steve.