RE: a new search engine spam "trick"

by "Ryan Huggins" <RyanHuggins(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:01:42 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
If what you say is true, that he has a page specifically made for the search
engine to trick it into listing him high, write to spamcontrol(at)altavista.com
(I'm not sure of the spelling, but there is a link to it off of the submit a
site page.  The spelling is probably spam-control), and inform them of your
suspicions.  These search engines frown HEAVILY on people who make junk
pages just to rank highly on the engines, and then replace them with the
real page.  Altavista might even ban them for life, although a bit extreme.
It will probably take about a week to get a response from their spam control
(it did for me on an issue I had), but if all else fails, submit their site
again.  They will unknowingly be re-indexed and probably lowered in the
rankings.  Warning - I don't know if that last line would be considered
ethical, I can justify it using Immanuel Kant's version of Utilitarianism
(greatest amount of good, for the greatest amount of people (the SE users),
over the long haul), and with Machiavelli (ends justify the means), so it's
up to you to decide the ethics for your self.

   Hope This Helps,

       Ryan Huggins

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:17:48 -0500
From: Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>
Subject: Re: Mountains to big to climb

I think that was sarcasm on Bryan's part -- not intended as slamming
graphic artists, just venting about people who are clueless trying to lead
him down the merry path??

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:59:24 -0400
From: "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>
Subject: Re: Paint shop pro

At 01:37 PM 10/20/00 +0100, Bryan Bateman wrote:
>For a graphics program it is the most bang for the buck.

here here.

As much as it pains me to be so agreeable, Bryan is right as rain.

Fuzzy
<A die-hard Photo Shop user for YEARS>
Captain F.M. O'Lary
webmaster(at)canopy.net
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin'
somebody else's dog around.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:09:15 -0400
From: "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>
Subject: Re: &nbsp for td

Shelley,

my vote is for the .gif because of the sizing flexibility it offers (a 2X5
pixel transparent gif is ~tiny~ in terms of file size, but can be stretched
dimensionally, by the definition in the img tag, to meet any [practical]
spacing need without making the file download any larger).

As far as "issues", I interpret that to mean
stability/reliability/predictability issues.

As most folks know, IE and NS render (interpret?) spaces differently. It is
my *opinion* that using the .gif would avoid the potential layout problems
associated with this anomaly.

HTH,
Fuzzy

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:37:46 -0400
From: "Walter Kesting" <kesting(at)mindspring.com>

Fuzzy:

You are too funny.  I fell off of the chair lauhging with your DELICATE
response.

I prefer a howitzer right between the eyes.

Walter

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:41:46 +0100
From: "Bryan Bateman" <batemanb(at)home.com>
Subject: On the lighter side.

Try to click on what appears to be links.  View the source.

geeeze a page of links that do not link.

http://www.pdgsoft.com/Support/E-Commerce_Reference/Links_for__Better_Busine
ss_Bur/links_for__better_business_bur.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:08:13 -0400
From: "howardm" <howardm(at)achilles.net>

The only problem using the gif is that if visitors have graphics turned off
they don't get an empty space.
I use transparent gifs myself  - just something to consider.

howardm

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:38:04 +0930
From: Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

I can't help but chime in here...

If you're looking for a graphics program that is every bit as good, as
PhotoShop and PSP, cheaper and way more user friendly, take a look at
Ulead's PhotoImpact. There's a new version out now and a trial can be
downloaded at www.ulead.com.

I have no connection with the company, but I've been using PI for about
four years now and IMHO it's the best graphics program out there and it's
starting to give PSP a real run for it's money.

Just my 02 cents...

Kym

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:29:06 EDT
From: ErthWlkr(at)aol.com
Subject: Puzzle....

Good morning friends:

At the request of a friend looking for help with a form, I am forwarding
this
message from her:

> I have a web page that has a mailto: submit button (CGI isn't usable) but
if
>  I do it in AOL it opens a mail window and doesn't submit the form.
>  Any ideas?
>  The page is:
>  http://www.uscj.org/njersey/paramus/donation.html
>  Thanks for any help.

Intersting points - I had no problem submitting the form on my Mac - but
when
I tried it on my PC, AOL opened a mail window as she described, and both IE
and Netscape came up with an error message saying they couldn't find the
server.

I played with this for a couple of hours but can't figure out why this is
happening.  Could the members of this list please take a try at this mystery
- - it would be greatly appreciated by all...  :-)

- - Jeff K.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:24:19 -0400
From: "Laura  Dowling" <laura(at)dowlingcentral.com>
Subject: RE: Puzzle....

It does the same thing with IE5. In order for forms to work consistently,
you have to use CGI. I learned that the hard way. If you don't have access
to a CGI bin, there are several forms services that will handle the script
for you. Some are free

response-o-matic
http://www.response-o-matic.com/

is one service that looks good.

*******************************
Laura Dowling
mailto:laura(at)dowlingcentral.com
http://www.dowlingcentral.com
ICQ 15690083
*******************************

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:50:52 -0500
From: "Charla & Ed Springer" <egs(at)hiwaay.net>

Shelley,

I use the nbsp attribute whenever I do not need to control the size of the
empty cell in the table. Where I need the cell to be a specific size, I use
an appropriately sized blank.gif file. So far, I've never had a problem with
it. As far as I know, when using the nbsp to fill in a cell, the content of
surroounding cells will dictate its size.

Edward Springer
Athens, Alabama - Our snappy comeback, "As a mater of fact, I am a rocket
scientist."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:45:48 -0500
From: "Charla & Ed Springer" <egs(at)hiwaay.net>

David,

I've been using Paint Shop Pro since version 3 and I have found it to be a
very good tool for creating graphics and working with photographs. I have
also tried Adobe Photo Shop and find it a bit to deep (I being of simple
mindedness). For the price, can't be beat. Once purchased, updates are
available at half the original cost, around $50.00. Version 7 has just been
released. My recommendation, go for it!

Edward Springer
Athens, Alabama - That's a long way from Cape Cod!
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:27:04 -0400
From: "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

Mornin' Shelley--

When I use the &nbsp; in Netscape (v4.6) on a Mac without wrapping it
in <.P> tags, it is ignored, and depending on how the rest of the
table is structured (numerical data versus images) this may look okay
or very odd. Also, using any image in a table in Netscape requires
that I define cell height and width to get consistent rendering. Of
course, it is a good idea to do this anyway with any image. Keep in
mind that Netscape (at least) sees the dimensions as "do not go
smaller than these dimensions" but will often make cells larger if the
browser thinks it needs to (i.e., something else in the row forces the
height taller, etc.).

I have not experienced these limitations in IE on the Mac or the PC,
v4.+.

Good luck!
kali
kaliajer(at)mail.com
=================
The learning curve is now a spin cycle
- --Paul Bicknell

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:25:20 -0500
From: "Carol Parent" <cbwd(at)means.net>
Subject: ISP War - OT?

Hello all,

I am not sure how off topic this really is since it does concern the
"basics".  Hosting your site and your rights as admin/owner of the domains
you take care of.

In the last two weeks, the web host who I host with let me know that they
were setting up their own server.  (They had been reselling space).  I
thought that was excellent for them.  Little did I know what was personally
in store for me.

The ISP that my host had been using for my sites is listed as Technical
Contact on Network Solutions. (Which I would have thought was proper or at
least not a problem.)

Well guess what?  It would seem that this ISP is not happy with my host
taking all their sites away from them and is refusing to let my sites go.
When I sent in the request for an ISP change thru Network Solutions (I am
admin contact AND owner), I was not allowed to switch.  Network Solutions
informed me that my request was turned down because the present ISP said NO
to the switch.  I was also informed (and Network Solutions said this is a
little known detail) that it does not matter who owns the domain, the tech
contact can OVERRIDE whatever you say.

Now there is a solution.  I need to fax Network Solutions proof of who I am,
the changes I want, and they will do it.   BUT the fact that I have to go
thru all this even though I am the owner AND admin contact makes one a bit
leery of allowing ANYONE to be listed other than yourself as the
person/business in charge of your domains.   So, until Network Solution acts
upon my fax requesting the change in ISP, my domains hang in limbo.  The DNS
points to the OLD ISP yet they will pull the plug on them once the time paid
for has run out and the NEW ISP which is paid for wont work since the DNS
doesn't point to them.

So just a heads up for your own protection.  This has been a MAJOR waste of
time.  If anyone would like to know who the ISP is that is doing this so
they can KNOW who not to host with, email me privately and I will give you
their name.

Regards,

Carol Parent
http://www.cbwdesign.com
admin(at)cbwdesign.com

"The only way to amuse some people is to slip and fall on an icy pavement. "