Re: Copyright and printed media

by "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 26 Nov 1999 00:34:07 -0000
 To:  <tjtmd(at)attglobal.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Tanya

----- Original Message -----
From: Tanya <tjtmd(at)attglobal.net>

> Are the copyright *rules* the same for printed (pictures) and Web
> images?

Essentially, yes.  In most countries, if it is an original work, created by
you, then it is covered by copyright legislation, and you are automatically
the copyright owner.  From the website of the World Intellectual Property
Organisation (WIPO) the body that oversees international legislation and
treaties dealing with intellectual property (http://www.wipo.org see
"Intellectual Property" - "About copyright and neighbouring rights") :

artistic works: whether two-dimensional (drawings, paintings, etchings,
lithographs, etc.) or three-dimensional (sculptures, architectural works),
irrespective of their content (representational or abstract) and
destination ("pure" art, for advertisement, etc.)

> I have to send some prints to the USA (which I created) and
> wonder if it is *legal* to print out a HTML copyright (symbol) and stick
> it on the back of the prints?

It is perfectly legal, if you created them as orignal works (ie not
directly derived from someone else's graphics or artwork).  Just be aware
that placing a copyright declaration on something, in itself is no direct
protection against it being pinched - if it's important to you to safeguard
your copyright in these images, you need to be able to prove that the
images are yours.  Some countries provide a copyright registration system,
where, for a small fee, you can register your ownership of the copyright in
specific works - this can make it easier to prove that you are the
copyright owner should it be necessary (the WIPO website used to have a
comprehensive list of these agencies, but last time I looked it was very
out of date, and now it seems to have been removed).  In countries that
don't offer this service, you may have to consult a lawyer or possibly the
appropriate government agency for advice on how best to record and
safeguard your copyright.

If you live in the UK, you'll find some useful information at
http://www.patent.gov.uk/index.html - the website of the government Patent
Office, including some bits and pieces on the current state of copyright
legislation and the internet.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Donna