RE: Linked stylesheets

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:58:31 -0400
 To:  <ndoylend(at)yahoo.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi there--

<snip>
but it really is very basic...  For ease of maintenance I'm designing
a site to use linked stylesheets, so by editing one document I can
control the formatting of the whole site.  At the moment I've got
this:

<LINK REL=stylesheet HREF="style.css" TYPE="text/css">

That works fine with MSIE but is dodgy with NN.  In particular I get
an error along the lines of:

"unable to find file www.host.com/style.css"
</snip>

What I use is shown below:
<LINK rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css"
title="stylesheet">

This line is in the  HEAD section of my pages right before I close
HEAD to start the BODY tag. The CSS file is uploaded to my server and
all pages have a relative path to it. HOWEVER, I have noticed that
regardless of how valid my CSS is, browser compliance varies greatly.
And the style tags for tables are also picky (read: do not vary from
textbook examples). Our friend Netscape complies with a lot of CSS but
inconsistently when it is embedded vs. linked. Some things I just deal
with, others I code around.

The only time my browser can't find my stylesheet is when I forgot to
upload it or the path to it in my file is incorrect.

Then again, when I first tried using CSS, I put TOO MUCH into it... as
in, I made them mini html documents. Which, when parsed by the browser
gave it a double set of HEAD, BODY, etc. tags. Netscape did NOT like
that.

Good Luck!
kali

P.S. I found a sig that reads: "The learning curve is now a spin
cycle." <g>