RE: Spacing IE and NN

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:58:36 -0600
 To:  "'Sharon'" <sll(at)chariot.net.au>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sharon...

Still haven't got the hang of mailing to the list, yet... but I do have an
answer on pixels as they pertain to fonts. Text sizes vary between platforms
but there are 2 workarounds if it is absolutely essential they look the
same.

Option 1:
Use pixels for font size. They render fairly predictably across platforms
ON-SCREEN. The drawback to this solution is that they will not PRINT
consistently. Sometimes they won't print at all or with ultra tiny text.

Option 2:
Use ems and JavaScript to serve up different stylesheets for each platform.
The Web Monkey has a good write-up on this. See:
http://hitwired.lycos.com/webmonjey/98/35/index2a_page5.html?tw=authoring

kali
kaliajer(at)mail.com