Re: overlapping [using CSS]

by "The Web Center" <admin(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sun, 22 Aug 1999 16:34:46 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have friends in one country who have no choice but to pay for their phone
time by the minute.  We were discussing the download of an HTML editor
lately...it was beyond their means to download the application, and it was
noticably beneath IE5 in download size.  I did the math using the
approximate USD valuse the thread gave me for phone usage, and IE5 would
probably cost more for them to download than I pay (Eastern US) for many
standard computer games and applications.

One of my sisters still uses a 486 with 8Mb, and another just bought her
first Pentium, and now has 32...after 2+ years of surfing.  I know some
families that are extending their online time gradually, but are still using
486's or low-end Pentiums...and they are prime customer crowds for e-comm,
spending thousands per year in impulse buying here and there.

Bottom line was included below: the older hardware and browsers need to fade
away.  Metered access needs to dissappear, and people have to become
accustomed to this new world.  CSS is an admirable standard, and XML is an
ML with promise...but this is a big world, and within a year or two, a good
part of it will be wired...probably with older equipment and older software.

Of course, Opera is a smaller download than either of the Big Two...is you
live in a country where USD $35 isn't a major expense...

Darrell

The Web Center
Web Site Solutions
admin(at)webctr.com