Re: New to the list

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Jan 2000 06:45:59 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lonell:

You should try the HTML Kit at http://www.chami.com/HTML-Kit/

It comes with HTML Tidy, which is a validator that will hale you check
your code for compliance with the current recommendations of the W3C
(w3.org)..  If FP2000 is anything like FP98, this will be a big help in
putting the final touches on the code produced.

At any rate, I got 75 Warnings when I ran your page through the
validator.  Most of them were due to improperly nested tags.  I didn't
see a TD tag when skimming the list (which is a famous source of
rendering failures with Netscape browsers), but there were plenty of
mismatched DL and DD tags, as well as DIV, ILAYER and LAYER , etc, and
some confusion with STRONG and EM nesting.  y guess would be that
cleaning up this code would take care of your display problems.

I teach a Basic Web Design class, and we place emphasis on learning the
basics of HTML before learning the WYS tools like FP.  There's no reason
to rehash the old hand vs WYSIWYG war, but I would say you will probably
want to learn the basics of HTML in order to debug these issues...and
they will arise again...:).

Your page viewed fine in IE5 on a PII, with the exception of the
buttons.  All were blank, due to the missing fphover class.  This is not
unusual with the FP applets...they often fail to put together the files
properly.  Usually, refreshing the screen will get some of them to work.
In this case it didn't, though, and I am not familiar enough with 2000
to know if this problem has gotten worse.

Navigator 4.07 also failed to load the buttons, and also failed to
render your scroller properly...it was reduced in size and blue-on-blue.
The page *was* displayed, however...:).

I would highly recommend placing a set of text links to your other pages
at the bottom as a backup to the applet buttons, as I was unable to
navigate further into your site.  I know this is all a bit much for
someone who volunteered to help their church...welcome to the world of
web design!

:)

Darrell

The Web Center