RE: new window location

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:40:01 -0500
 To:  <shawn(at)sportsstuff.com>,
"'jazzman'" <jazzman(at)sprintmail.com>
 Cc:  "'html list'" <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Adding my 2 cents worth on this one:

<snip>
I understand that, but the screen X and Y and top and left attributes
are
based off the amount of pixels from the top left corner of the
monitor.  I
was wandering if there's some way to make the window open in a
position
relative to the browser window that's currently open instead of the
corner
of the monitor.  Then, no matter where the current browser window is
at,
the new one will open on top of it instead of up in the corner of,
possibly, a second monitor.
</snip>

Short Answer: No. There is no relative positioning for screen/monitor
real estate.

Longer Answer: There are ways... but they would only work for you and
your set-up, not everybody.

Jazzman had a great solution and I will try to expand on it so you
will be able to do what you want... sort of.

When your browser gets an open window command, it knows where it is in
the relative screen real estate and places the new window in the upper
left corner of your active area screen/monitor. If you choose absolute
positioning, the browser will start counting "x0, y0" from the upper
left of its leftmost window... yup, the monitor on your left. If your
resolution is set at 1024 for each monitor, you would have to set the
coordinates high enough (greater than 1024) for it to even get INTO
the next monitor window area.

Good Luck!
kali
kaliajer(at)mail.com