RE: Ideas for Less Bitmapping?

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:28:51 -0600
 To:  <rsimmons8(at)earthlink.net>,
"'html'" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>My wife and I create graphics in Illustrator for Web pages.
(snip)
>give us some hints on how to smooth those jaggies (/snip)

Good Morning Robert and spouse,

The suggestions I am giving should apply to both MAC and PC and are based on
using PhotoShop 4 or later, and a current (within a digit of it, anyway)
version of Illustrator. These are the basic steps with none of the
variables/options for optimizing added in.

1. Determine the end dimensions of your graphic in PIXELS. You can
"ballpark" the inches dimensions by pretending 100 pixels=1 inch. If
possible, use the websafe color pallet in current versions of Illustrator
for fill areas.

2. Copy your finished image to the clipboard (generic copy command) and
open/go into PhotoShop.

3. Select FILE > NEW, dimensions in pixels, RGB, and transparent background
(the window you see will maker these answers more clear). PhotoShop
generally creates a new canvas based on the size of whatever is in the
clipboard. You can edit or resize later, but your image might suffer so try
to get it close from the start.

4. In the newly created canvas, paste your image from the clipboard. I
usually select "paste as anti-aliased pixels," but you can also paste as
outlines and refill your image areas. The anti-aliasing will smooth those
jaggies but if you enlarge the image, all the pixelization will show. You
can see this for yourself when you view things at higher magnifications in
PhotoShop.

5. Save for web (version 5.5), Export as GIF 89a, or Save a Copy As JPEG
(older versions).

6. Place your image in your HTML document giving dimensions for 100% size
(If your image is 100 pixels by 100 pixels, don't place it in your page as
200 pixels by 200 pixels, etc.)

Tah-Dah!

kali
kaliajer(at)mail.com