RE: Excel Spreadsheets

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:56:17 -0400
 To:  "'Shelley Watson'" <shelleyw(at)home.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Shelley-- and others <g>

<snip>
"...in Netscape when actually it was MSIE. I knew it was too good to
be true - Netscape drops the "table lines" and the UPC's are..."
</snip>

I have been in Excel hell for a while now working on making price
quotes tables created in Excel both viewable and downloadable (read:
functioning) for our sales force. The excel files use macros. They
were built in Windows/Office 98 Excel on a PC. The people using the
files are all using Mac PowerBook's. But I digress...

I have developed a system for taking tab-delimited text, saving it as
html, and cleaning the resulting file to match my needs. I have heard
you could set your preferences in HTML-Tidy to deleted all the bloated
FONT coding tags, too. (BTW-- has anyone else noted that with all the
bloated codes generated, several tags are not properly closed? Those
non-closed tags generate a shitload of errors.) Once cleaned, I have
been opening the files in an editor to easily change column/row/cell
alignments, spacing, backgrounds and the border attributes. The
default table/cell alignments in Netscape and IE are different (DOH!)
so I am using the WYSIWYG editor to make the changes across ranges of
cells. Works okay.

Any other luck on it, anyone?

kali