Re: Another W3C strict query

by "Dusty" <designsbydusty(at)tiadon.com>

 Date:  Sat, 25 May 2002 15:24:27 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> So I give "my" visitors links to those places, but want to keep them in
the
> park-
> rather like keeping the main book open, even if they pick up a reference
> book from the shelf to check something.
>
> "In the real world" I may open two books at once (or even more) - but if
i'm
> reading one, i wouldn;t close it just for the sake of making a check on
> something in it, or looking-up a reference in another one.
> That, i guess, is my "mindset", is  how i look at my external links -  and
> why i thought opening other windows for the reference books, but keeping
my
> main book/window open is ok.

This agrees a lot with my philosophy. When I visit a website that is
intended as a reference tool, I appreciate it when the site author says,
"Here is another site that explains this concept better than I can," and
provides me with a link to go there. However, it is extremely annoying to be
taken to that other site, and then have to click my back button any number
of times to get back to the site I went to in the first place. I like the
idea of just closing out the newer window, in order to return to the
original site. It's one thing that will keep me coming back to that site. To
me, it's not an annoyance; its's a valuable service.

I guess it's one of those things that is different things to different
people.

Dusty