Re: please help me find my error

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 5 Mar 2000 15:13:55 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Berfen:

In a word--YES You CAN get into a person's web page.

When you "view" a page in your browser, you have already downloaded all the
info to your computer. The browser has to have the information to be able to
display it. In IE or NN you basically just select View Source from the
browser menu and NotePad or something similar will launch with the source
code displayed.

You can then play with it as some on the list just did and then save it to
your own hard drive under whatever name you choose.

If you have FrontPage on your computer, it is even simpler. Just click on
the Edit icon in IE-4+ and FrontPage will launch with the page already
opened, complete with all the graphics. You can then save the graphics as
well as the page and FP will "link" them for you.

Of course, to upload them back to the original person's site you would need
their username and password.

There are some tricky exceptions to this in the general areas of external
Style Sheets, SSI, Java and ASP, etc. But as far as plain old HTML, it's
there for all to see.

In this case, the changes Hugh made, was on his copy on his own hard drive,
and then I believe he was the one that uploaded to a URL,
http://www.consult-this.org/xoom//vluma.html  where Marilyn could then go to
download it to her own machine if she chose to do so.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net