Re: HWG - ALERT: Your messages are bouncing -- attachments/encoding

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:27:56 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Seecurb:

Actually, the formatting in a MS Publisher file will be of little value to
any regular "word processor". Publisher is a page layout program which
means--just as with Canvas, Quark Express and similar programs--most
"objects" on the page are contained in individual elements or "frames". (No
real relation to web frames.)

While it is very true that one can create a web page in Publisher, most will
not recommend it. Too many of the elements will end up as GIF's and loading
times will suffer. Also, once something has been converted into a graphic,
you can no longer edit it. (You can "publish" as a web, (Save as HTML), but
can not "open" a HTML file in Publisher.

There is--and always has been--some confusion between the three distinct
types of programs--Word Processors, Page Layout Programs and HTML Editors.

In the Microsoft Office for example, Word is a word processor--MS Publisher
is the page layout program and FrontPage is the HTML editor. All three work
very differently just as Excel and Access are different. One is a
spreadsheet, the other a database even though you can do similar things in
either. Microsoft is pretty good about compatibility. You can, for example,
edit Publisher's text in Word but of course, you have to have them both on
your machine.

I would consider Publisher, (.pub) a poor choice for mass distribution. The
ONLY thing that opens a .pub file is Publisher and it is even persnickety
about which version of Publisher it will open.

A much better choice for your e-mails would be either Word, .doc or Acrobat,
.pdf. However, if the e-mail newsletter is simple, you can do a pretty fair
job using plain old Outlook Express. Just have them set it for HTML e-mail
and they can include many of the simpler type web features. Even embed the
pictures. Downside is AOL and other "challenged" e-mail programs that balk
at HTML.

In a pinch, you may??--be able to open the text of a .pub file in WordPad.
Although you will get a LOT of extra chaff. But down in the middle
somewhere, will be the text.

For a web master, I would advise asking them to send you the raw text as a
plain e-mail and the pictures as attachments. OR--if you also get a hard
copy of the newsletter, just OCR the text and insert the attached images
after the text is in place.

The big problem for you is that others always assume that everybody else has
the same programs they do. That is why--that when in doubt, we always
suggest Word. (.doc) Just about anyone with Windows has something on their
machine that can open a Word file. And--as a lot more people have Word than
Publisher, I suspect that far more newsletters are actually created using
Word than any of the publishing programs.

Last but not least--do as we did--go out and buy a copy of Publisher. Or
better still, con your club into getting it for you. (Big grin) It IS a very
handy program to have if you do ANY page layout at all for printing. [With
Publisher and a good ink jet, you will never have to buy another greeting
card.]

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/novels/
www.newsredding.com/
www.ramac-rc.org/

> List, I need some advice. As webmaster for my computer club, I received
the
> April club newsletter as an attachment, but I need some advice. It is a
dot
> pub (MS Publisher). I don't have Publisher, so I get the message, "No
> Association...."   So, should I open it in WORD, WORKS, WORDPAD, or
NOTEPAD?