Re: problem with javascript menu

by "Bert" <Bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:41:24 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> How is everyone?

Dont know about everyone else, but I'm fine :-)

> I am having problem with the appearance of a java script
> menu  in netscape.  In IE it works fine,

Maybe it works in your version of IE, but in my version of IE (6.0) it took
me a while to actually find the menu.  When I did eventually locate it, the
text was very hard to read (barely any contrast).

Hovering the mouse over the menu items also has plenty of propblems with the
links only working when the cursor is on a blank area, rather than on the
text.  The blue background only lights up when you move over a section that
does NOT have text.  And the text is not the same for each menu item either.

The menu didn't display at all in Netscape 6.  Probably because it was
written before Netscape 6 was released and thinks anything called "Netscape"
uses Layers.  Netscape 6 doesn't..

If you got the script from another source, perhaps look elsewhere, or look
for instructions on the site where you got it.   I'm no fan of so called
"cross browser" DHTML myself, but have used the menus from DHTMLCentral.com
on a few clients' sites, on request.  They come with plenty of instructions
and examples and work fine in IE4/5/6 and Netscape 6.  Last time I looked
there was still a bit of a problem with Netscape 4..

--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
CIW Associate, IWA Member