Re: Basic change of format

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:47:51 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Chuck:

Just got to stick my two cents in on this one. Microsoft is like
the big red dog that knows so many tricks it's hard to remember
the commands to get him to do them all.

Like has previously been mentioned, Saving the Word document as
HTML can result in either very clean--or very weird
code--depending on how you have constructed your pages. (Example:
If you used the space bar too much, Word don't care. It will put
in a non-breaking space for each one of them.)

But--If you are primarily concerned about just the text, and/or
pictures, there are several other alternatives:

If you have FrontPage, just drag and drop or cut/copy and paste.
It will automatically convert the text. You will have to edit the
"path" to the images.

You can also select the text and do a Save Selection As --  thus
saving only the text as an HTML file. (Just like in NotePad
except you don't have to go into Explorer to get rid of the .txt
extension.)

Copy and paste into your favorite Web Editor. Here however, you
may run into a line ending problem and have to re-format. It all
depends on the editor.

There are so dog gone many different ways to do this sort of
thing in the "Office" applications I have no doubt, overlooked
most of them but these should get you started and by this time,
I'm sure you have received many other suggestions.

As you mention Netscape, you can also paste text, pictures, etc.
into Composer.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA