Re: no SSI/ASP/FP/ any other extensions - is there a way?

by "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>

 Date:  Sat, 2 Oct 1999 19:01:25 -0700
 To:  "Ben Bradley" <kingben(at)bigfoot.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Ben!

If you are using the FrontPage Web Bot to create "included sections", your
theory of having to only edit 1 page will work.

Here's what happens:

The included files are pulled into your local document.  When you ftp to
your site, you DO NOT send included file.  You need to send all the files
that were affected by the include.

If you want to "experiment" with your host's SSI, try naming your *.html to
*.shtml.  If your host is running a Unix based server, it may do the trick.

Also, be careful when using the "include" code.  Extra spaces in the line
may keep your includes from working.

example:

<!-- #include virtual="page.inc" --> may not work.
<!--#include virtual="page.inc"--> should work.

One way to find out what platform the server is, is to validate one of your
pages through W3.  Usually, the server and OS are sometimes identified in
the beginning of validation return page.  This won't tell you if the host
supports SSI, but it's a start to identify their software.