Re: newbie link question

by "Andrew Angelopoulos" <angelopoulos(at)csi.com>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:51:53 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Elisa,

I'm sort of an HTML newbie too.. (new member, just finally making an effort
to learn HTML though I can do some editing).

What program are you using? And what exactly is your output target (HTML,
HTML with JAVA, HTML with JavaScript)?

I am a tech writer and have used Doc-to-help and RoboHelp extensively and if
you start editing links you better be careful. These programs generate their
own code, hrefs, popups, whatnot, you name it. And unless you are sure you
know where they all are you could be breaking it instead of fixing it. If
the program put the space there, you should probably leave it there.  It may
not be "true" HTML. IF you edit stuff, give your HELP to QA and ask them if
they can break it. Another nice tool is xenu (you can download it from
CNET.com). Checks a "Web site" (which your help project effectively is) for
broken links.

Andrew

These program generate