Re: Client wants to update own site

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:17:12 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Maya:

If your client is running IE-4 or -5 they can click the little icon on the
right side of the row of icons under the menus. If you hold your mouse over
the icon of a page of text showing a pencil over it, the alt message will
be: "Edit in Microsoft FrontPage" Thus far, my experience with "capturing" a
web PAGE is far different than that expressed by others on this list.

It is simply that no matter WHAT program you use, there will be some things
it does well and some things it does poorly. You just have to adapt your
work-arounds to capitalize on the strengths of the program(s) you are using.

The whole site will load into FrontPage. (More or less--If it's just one
page--usually more) They can then edit it and save it to their own hard
drive. In fact, I do this all the time with pages that members of this list
ask for help with.

Now--In order for them to upload the page to the server they will need the
username and password. Note: If they are just editing one page it might be
better to show them how to FTP just that page.

I am assuming here that you do NOT intend to use FrontPage Extensions. No
big deal as you only lose the proprietary functions involving time or server
side scripts. JavaScript and/or CGI will replace this without problem should
the need arise.

I'm NOT really a big fan of the Extensions and the features they support.
However--This should not detract from the fact that the rest of the program
is pretty darn good. Keep in mind--regardless of detractors--that FrontPage
did not become the single most popular web page editor (thus far) because it
was junk !!

Also, using FrontPage in this manner will almost totally eliminate any
tendency of the program to "overwrite code" on it's own. And: If you have
something special you want protected, FrontPage has an "Insert HTML" feature
that safeguards your code from changes. But in general, FrontPage is very
tolerant of other editor's code. Like everything else--it depends on how you
use it.

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at how well it integrates.
Remember--most of the so-called "Bad Rap" about FP was written by old timers
who insist on doing things "their" way. MS Word has the same problem. It in
turn, may be the most popular word processor in the world but there are
still those who bad mouth it because it does not work like their old DOS
program did.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/
www.newsredding.com/

> I really like lurking on this list.  I've learned so much in such a short
> time!
> I happen to use a WYSIWYG editor; I've got a client who wants to do his
own
> updates in the future.  He wants to use FrontPage.  Do any of you
FrontPage