Re: Browser Include

by "Bert Doorn" <bdoorn(at)iinet.net.au>

 Date:  Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:45:03 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> All I wanted to know is if there exists something like a Browser Side
> Include.  Can you make an external file of code included without messing
with
> the server stuff?

Yes and no.  It is possible to display multiple pages on one screen in SOME
browsers by using frames, in-line frames and layers.

However, browser support is patchy/inconsistent and you will have to use
workarounds/scripts to test for the different browsers.  That's where Server
Side Includes are better (IMHO) - they do not depend on the visitor's
browser.

See http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/index.html , particularly the
following elements (from the "Element Index"):

IFRAME
FRAME (and related elements)
ILAYER
LAYER