Re: Pop-up menu

by "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:27:16 -0000
 To:  "HWG" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
From: "Matt \"Bird\" Williams" <dkmannee(at)jhmi.edu>

> Ideally, that page would also show how to disable, let's say, a
> personal tool bar.  I'd like my page to appear larger on the viewer's
> screen, so I figure if I disabled a not-so-important part of the tool
> bar, this could be achieved.

"Not-so-important"...?  To whom?!  It might not be important to you, but
it's not your browser or your chosen setup.  However, if you really want
your page to appear in a functionally disabled browser window, you could
load an initial page in the main browser window that uses javascript to
open a new browser window to display your page(s) - you can then specify
what features that new window does or does not have.  Something along the
lines of --

<script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!-- hide from older browsers
window.open ("url","new_window_name","toolbar=yes or no,location=yes or
no,directories=yes or no,status=yes or no,menubar=yes or no,scrollbars=yes
or no,resizable=yes or no,copyhistory=yes or no,width=xxx,height=yyy")
// stop hiding from older browsers -->
</script>
<noscript>
For non-javascript browsers, the contents of the first page that would
otherwise load in the new window above
</noscript>

The various window features --

"toolbar" - whether or not to display the standard Back, Forward, Home, etc
toolbar
"location" - whether or not to display the current URL
"directories" - whether or not to display the "Whats new", "Whats cool",
etc toolbar
"status" - whether or not to display the status bar
"menubar" - whether or not to display the File, Edit, View, etc menu bar
"scrollbars" - whether or not to display scrollbars if the document exceeds
the window size
"resizable" - whether or not the user can resize the window
"copyhistory" - whether or not the new window should inherit the session
history
"width" and "height" - the size of the new window, in pixels

Regards,
Donna