Re: website with code?

by "Mike Lessar" <rfd246(at)bigfoot.com>

 Date:  Tue, 22 May 2001 11:32:39 -0400
 To:  "Susanna Naldoeken" <susanna.naldoeken(at)chello.at>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Susanna,

If you plan on letting the browsers read the code, and display it the way
you intend it to, then no!
HTML needs to be viewable by the browsers and in the specified format.

You would most likely find this discussion in the archives as it has been
brought up many times.

If you intend to place anything on the internet that must be viewed by the
browser, it is subject to be available to everyone.  Meaning if you build
graphics and don't want people to grab them, DON'T put them on the internet.
If you have something that you do not want duplicated, I would contact a
lawyer and discuss copyright laws.  Many websites have disclaimer about the
content and graphics are copyright protected and reserved, blah, blah, blah.
(legal wording).  The problem is you must enforce this if you feel that
someone has taken your work.  however this is leading into another
discussion and I would like to point out that individuals that are seeking
to scramble the html code, are doing so, in an effort to conceal, that they
are using someone elses code, or they are trying to hide a password in the
page.

If you are trying to hide a password, that is a bad idea and highly
un-advisable.  For password protected sites I would use .htaccess, on an
Apache web server.

HTH :)

Mike Lessar
Lessar Designs - (610) 476-3586
Building Interactive Web Sites and Scripts
http://www.lessar.com

International Webmaster Association - http://www.iwanet.org
HTML Writers Guild - http://www.hwg.org