Re: Extra Letters on Page

by "Andy21a" <andy.a21(at)virgin.net>

 Date:  Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:25:55 +0100
 To:  "HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Doubtful it's phone lines, TCP/IP contains numerous error checking algos:

Flow control
Both client and server computers participate in the transmission of the
packets, which virtually eliminates potential problems with packet overflows
and lost packets.

Acknowledgment
The computer sending data packets expects an acknowledgment message (ACK)
from the destination computer. This acknowledgment verifies that the packet
was successfully received at the destination.

Retransmission
If the sending computer does not receive an ACK in a specified period of
time, it assumes the packet became lost or corrupted and retransmits the
packet.

Sequencing
All packets are numbered and sent in order so that the receiving computer
reorganizes the data correctly.

Checksum
All packets contain a checksum to ensure integrity of the data. If the data
is corrupted somewhere during the transmission, the checksum is used to
indicate that the data is not the same data that was sent.

So, assuming you are using FTP, and not TFTP (Trivial File Transfer
Protocol), I would think your problems are server-side.

HTH

Andy.