Re: "./" files

by "Just Kate" <kate(at)solamentekate.com>

 Date:  Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:22:07 -0500
 To:  "JOHN GAMBLE" <JOHNG(at)acumen.sagehost.co.uk>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
index.html and defualt.htm are the files names assigned by the default
installation of Microsoft's and Netscape's web servers.

The configuration will look for that file first as the page that comes up
when a visitor types in just the domain name, so as not to have to know the
page name.

These names can be altered by the web server administrator.

Folders or alternate domain names can be used for the various web sites.
Virtual naming can be used to assign a true path to a given URL.  This idea
is most likely impelemented by web hosts who have many users, such as:
www.ourdomain.com/~myusersite

You can typically upload any page name you desire as long as your visitors
know where to look.  You could advertise different page names for different
sites, but best practices should be considered around this.

I would suggest using index.html and default.htm for the gateway (main) page
to your site or sites.  For personal sites this could be your primary home
page with links to alternate sites.  It really depends on what arena you are
working in - personal home pages, business sites, niche sites etc.

Kate
www.urlygrl.com
www.unitypond.net
www.solamentekate.com