Re: question...

by "The Web Center" <admin(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:24:23 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Serious question, Jesse.

In my experience, it's always been best to be sympathetic to their desires.
I'll refer them to the tutorials, and good books, and offer live training at
the usual hourly rate.

Many people don't see any of the difficulties involved with what we do.  It
*looks* easy, practically anything M$ makes can save as HTML, and talent is
hitting the market daily...often at cutthroat rates.

Bottom line is that, if they *really want* to learn HTML, and are of average
intelligence, they can do it.  If they want to keep up with the market, the
new technologoes, and the many fires that site management can bring, they
can do that to...but probably not in a few minutes of spare time.

The key is not whether people are able to do it, but whether they want to do
it.  Tell your client with all courtesy that it took you a good deal of
effort to learn what you do, and that you are willing to train for money.
Be polite, and stay sympathetic, as you know who they are going to come to
with problems, and when they are tired of playing with their new toy.
Instead of wasting time with them, turn them loose to play, and go drum up
more business.  If they make a mess, then you can always fix it...at your
normal hourly rate.

Some people simply can not afford to maintain a web site properly.  Although
cheaper than most other business expenses for a small or home-based
business, it can be beyond the means of dabblers.  Don't fight it...if they
can't afford to pay, then you need to look elsewhere for a new client...or
risk not eating!

If they can afford it, but are not getting percieved value because they
think you are charging too much for what you do, then let them try it.  How
else will they learn what it is you are providing them for their money...??

One last thing: send them a helpful list of topics they should study in
order to obtain a minimal level of proficiency.  Always amazes me how many
people would rather spend the weekend laying in the sun than studying
Perl...sheesh...:)

Darrell

The Web Center
Web Site Solutions