Re: interesting & interactive site? (was: Cheap Thrills)

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:12:54 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sherill:

Having once worked at a community college, I'm snickering as I
write this because I recognize some of the phrasing as
school-teacher-eze.

However--Let me take a stab at the bit about the difference
between simple web pages and a full-blown web application.

Regular web pages may have eye candy and/or animations. Some even
are generated with bits or pieces using SSI, CGI and/or Java. You
can click on a button or link, etc. but basically, you just look
at them.

A full blown application is a series of web pages that allow you
to do work of some kind. It requires you to input directions in
some manner and then reacts to those directions just like an
application on your hard drive would.

Examples would be a shopping cart where you tell it what you want
and supply shipping and credit card info or perhaps a classified
section where you can create your own ad and affix it to a
pre-existing and larger database--then return at a later time and
remove it.

Most of the others are in some way simply scripts or snippets of
code that allow a reaction to a mouse click or some condition
such as the type of browser the visitor is using.

Admittedly, the line is a little blurred as to where interactive
features become an application so I hope this thread does not
degenerate into some kind of a flame war on the definition of a
web application.

I also hope I have elucidated the general idea here without
becoming too nit-picky.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com

>-turning a simple web page into a full-blown web application:
Please explain
>what a full-blown web application IS....(and why is this
preferable to a
>simple web page?)
>
>-mouse interaction w/ events: Ummmmm... mouseovers?
>
>-animation: I do know what this one is!
>
>I realize I have asked a lot of rather simple questions. I find
I'm often