RE: Question about database driven sites

by "Katherine Pollara" <kpollara(at)home.com>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:38:37 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Pam,
You want Dreamweaver UltraDev, which is only in version2, so a bit buggy.
Itcomes with with Cold Fusion, which is a great program that I am just
beginning to learn.  You can connect this to any database like Access,
FoxPro, Oracle, depending on your needs.  You can use standard SQL for
queries.

Although UltraDev is relatively new, you can expect great things in terms of
upgrades.  The fact that Macromedia owns both Dreamweaver and Cold Fusion
means a virtually seamless environment.  The visual nature of these programs
working together make it far faster than using ASP or similar technologies.
Although ASP may appear to be cheap upfront, the cost in time must be
figured into the equation.  The word is that CF is geared toward very rapid
development. It has a lot of built in functionality that you won't find in
ASP, where you have to write out everything manually. The return on
investment is well worth it.  Or this is what they tell me.

If you are in the Central NJ area, as I am, you may want to check out
courses at Rutgers Internet Institute:
http://iti.rutgers.edu
where there is a program devoted to Data-Driven Site Building.
Surely, there must be comparable courses elsewhere that will get you going
very quickly.

Kate Pollara