Re: WAP <Fuzzy is confused>

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:02:36 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jim:

Hey--Don't get me wrong here.

I was not trying to defend EVERY web site with graphics. Some are so poorly
done it is almost ridiculous. Over the last couple of years I have become a
fanatic about loading times myself. Many of my pages no doubt lack real
artistic excellence because of my over use of the KISS principle.

In fact, one of the sites that causes most of my hair pulling is my own
magazine, www.newsredding.com/  Here I have to many different "features" on
this one page. Sadly, most are coming from somewhere else and my page has to
wait while they download. Between the graphics they use, their scripts and
server load, sometimes it can take nearly thirty seconds for the bottom half
of the page to finally appear.

But here again--without those graphics--much of the "flair" of the features
would be lost. So I am objectively looking at each feature to see if it is
really worthwhile. I suspect the first thing to go will be the "Radio". I'm
not sure anyone ever uses it anyway ??

And--On the other part of this thread that has flayed off--and before the
list guides shut us down, {grin}--I would like to comment to the gentleman
who is so proud not to be a citizen of a country with all those guns ...

Please remember--that throughout the recorded history of mankind--whenever
something major and bad occurred, it was always up to the countries that had
the guns, to come to the aid and protection of those sanctimonious ones who
had no guns of their own. And remember too--that regardless of the hoopla on
the media, regardless of the emotion, and to keep at least some
perspective--

... in the United States, more children die and are seriously injured each
year on waterslides than they are with guns !! The real threat to our
children remains the same as always ... Drunk Drivers !!

Sorry--that's about as political as I ever want to get on this list. It's
just that there has been so much mis-information and outright silliness on
this subject lately, it is hard to allow unfounded innuendo go unchallenged.

My apologies to those trying to get some web work done
and best wishes to all.

Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net