Re: Displaying product pictures (frames or new windows?)

by "Bert Doorn" <bdoorn(at)iinet.net.au>

 Date:  Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:04:13 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day again

I wrote:
> My site uses frames.  It's listed in many search engines/catalogues,
> including  Yahoo (which accounts for about 80% of the search engine hits to
> my site).

Peter replied:
> Agree somewhat, however they are not a Search Engine and if you tell them
> they are they get mad.  Yahoo is a Directory.  They use people to look at
> sites, not computers.  The idealogy is different.  If most of your business
> comes from Yahoo, you proved my point.  You're not doing well with Search
> Engines.

OK, Yahoo is not a search engine.  I'm not trying to prove any points here but
I also get traffic from Looksmart, Altavista, Goo!, HotBot, Lycos, Dogpile,
Metacrawler, Goto.com, Infoseek, Excite, Mamma, Askjeeves and MSN Web Search.
If none of those are search engines, you're right.  So I get most of my
"search engine" traffic from Yahoo.  Perhaps that just shows how popular Yahoo
is.

At any rate, I'll do framed sites if my clients or I want it and if it's
appropriate.  Like I said - personal choice.  I agree it's more work.  That's
why I charge more for a site which uses frames.

I do wonder how many "frame haters" use other elements/technologies for which
there's even less support.  Even Lynx has some support for frames (though it
displays them as links to individual pages)

Don't bother using tables either if you want 100% browser support - there's
some browsers out there which don't support those either (e.g. Netscape
Version 1).  Forget about Flash and Java Applets - they can cause problems too
for some people.  And don't bother using any images - they don't display in
text-only browsers.

You could always make plain text pages - don't bother with HTML, just make
.txt files <G>

--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
http://www.BetterWebDesign.com.au/