Re: Active Server Page Surprise

by "Andre Crane" <andre(at)terracrane.com>

 Date:  Sun, 25 Nov 2001 01:30:18 -0500
 To:  "Lauren Hanka" <bluejay(at)starband.net>,
"Hwg-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lauren,

Let me start by saying, whatever the other answers were, yes, you can add
your code to the pages and upload them and everything will be fine, provided
you follow a few safety/backup procedures and test your changes thoroughly
before uploading them.

Look at the ASP code and see if you can follow what they are trying to do
with the ASP code.

ASP is very simple to read, since it is such a simple scripting language.  I
think that you should check out the code, and make your own conclusions
about whether you should edit a certain section of the code.

There are a few things you must do in order to safely make your changes and
test them.  You will need to make sure that you download the web site to
your local server or hard drive, and make sure that you make a backup copy
of the original files, and make absolutely no changes at all to the backup
files, don't even open them just to be sure.

I would also suggest going to http://www.learnasp.com and
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/ and do some reading in the beginners sections
there.  There are also a multitude of mailing lists to subscribe to there as
well.  Spend a few hours at these sites learning what you can about the
request and response objects of asp and also try to get a feel for vbscript
syntax as far as the control structures are concerned.  I have no clue what
experience you may have with programming, so I'm going to explain a control
structure to you.  It is a statement, or series of statements, that can
directly affect the flow of the program.

Like this:
------------------------------------
<.HEAD>
<.title>
<.%
titleA = "The Apple Page"
titleB = "The Grape Page"

variableWhichTitle = "titleB"

If variableWhichTitle = "titleA" Then
    response.write titleA
Elseif variableWhichTitle = "titleB" Then
    response.write titleB
End If
%>
</title>
</HEAD>
The control structure in the code above is the "If  Elseif End If"
statement. Read through the code, it is valid asp code and will work fine.
You should have no trouble reading it. A few hours at the above sites and
you will be able to read much more.

I'm sure that if you follow these guidelines you will be successfull and you
may also spark an interest in yourself to try something new :)

Andre