Re: Another W3C strict query

by "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 25 May 2002 15:40:26 +0100
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Andrew McFarland" <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Opening links in a new window is bad for usability for two reasons:......

My site is a "woodland park" site, rather than a reference site.

I envisage users coming in and having a look around, not after specific
information, more a magazine / park walk.

I have links from there to detailed conservation sites and research papers
(from where i have picked out some information, then also said "For more
detailed information..." or just made the key text into a link. )
I've also got links to various organisations that are involved with the
Woodland Park.

So I give "my" visitors links to those places, but want to keep them in the
park-
rather like keeping the main book open, even if they pick up a reference
book from the shelf to check something.

"In the real world" I may open two books at once (or even more) - but if i'm
reading one, i wouldn;t close it just for the sake of making a check on
something in it, or looking-up a reference in another one.
That, i guess, is my "mindset", is  how i look at my external links -  and
why i thought opening other windows for the reference books, but keeping my
main book/window open is ok.

>Who benefits from the user being kept on the website?
Does this explain my thinking - and isn;t their some justification in it?!

yes, i've checked the link, i see the points (which i hadn;t considered),
but ...... i'm not quite convinced  (yet, today).
I still need a bit of convincing that i can;t keep my book open when my
visitor checks a refernce.... :-)

thanks -

h.