RE: Rendering of fonts within tables on Netscape

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:23:17 -0600
 To:  "'Diane Carlson'" <dknitting(at)dknitting.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Diane--

RE: text displayed within a table comes up in times roman

I looked at your site on a PC and viewed the code for the first
paper/journal selection. Since I work on a Mac system all day at work doing
pages that need to work cross platform as well as cross browser, I have
these are my observations:

This is an excellent situation for using a style sheet. Specifying the font
used inside a table (and list items, too while we are at it) ensures that
both MAC and PC versions of the main browsers will attempt to render the
page similarly. The script font you used on your site is not available on
most Mac systems, and where necessary, will have a fantasy-style script font
substituted in its place. HTML specs have deprecated your <font> tags
although they still accept them. It looks like you really mean to set a
<basefont=Verdana, sans serif> but if you do that, you need to set a
basefont size, too.

At the bare minimum, you need to set the <font> tag inside each cell of your
table. Netscape doesn't remember *boo* from one cell to the next!

Good Luck!
kali
kaliajer(at)mail.com