Re: lots of images

by "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:59:58 +0100
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Sascha

Two suggestions for you -

First go through all of your code, and put quotes round all of the
attribute values.  There are missing quotes all over the place.  Eg your
frameset statement is as follows:

<frameset cols=20%,60%,20%  framespacing=0 border=0 noresize frameborder=no
bordercolor=000000>

Most of these values should have quotes around them, and color codes should
start with a #, like so:

<frameset cols="20%,60%,20%"  framespacing="0" border="0" noresize
frameborder="no" bordercolor="#000000">

The browser is having to do a lot of work working out where values start
and end, which will be slowing things down a bit.

Second, and from a loading time point of view, more importantly, you need
to use a graphics program to resize your pictures to the size you want to
display them on the page - most of them are much bigger than the size they
are being displayed, which means that the user has to download much larger
files than would be necessary if the pictures were actually the size they
are being shown at.  I copied and opened four of them in Paint Shop Pro,
and they were (in pixels) 300 x 163, 300 x 228, 410 x 397, and 502 x 400.
All much, much bigger than you are displaying them, and with
correspondingly large file sizes (9.5K, 8.5K, 16K and 29.5K).

Clean up the HTML code, and resize all of your pictures, and you'll find
the page will load much, much more quickly.

Regards,
Donna
--
dms(at)zetnet.co.uk